Bed placement…

Wednesday 8 August 2012

There are a number of common design conventions that really annoy me: single overhead lights in the middle of the room, magnolia walls, functional-yet-hideous white plastic windows and the knee-jerk reaction to place furniture against a wall. Now I know furniture placement is very much dependent on space, layout of windows and doors etc (our London house is so small that if we didn’t push the furniture against the wall, we wouldn’t be able to get into the room) but where space is available, isn’t it much more fun to experiment and bring the furniture into the room rather than trying to push it out? I particularly love the look of a bed pushed into the middle of the room (preferably to maximise views out of the windows) with a shelf behind to utilise the awkward space.

What do you think of this look?

BedPlacement

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

11 comments

  1. i quite like this idea. now to just find a bedroom big enough...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say, I just recently had to do the furniture against all walls in our home office. Wasn't thrilled but it just had to be done. Now I'm happy with having some open space in the center of the room. I really like the attic room above though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to be honest, I feel a little more secure about being up against a wall but I am willing to try to be away from the wall but only if I have a bigger bedroom like these lovely pictures ........ especially if I had a view of the ocean in front of me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love a bed that looks out on a big, large window!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like it! It is a little bit daunting to me, and I'm not sure if I would implement it into my own home... But I do like to admire from afar! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I don't get the whole "keep everything up against a wall and have lots of empty space in the middle" thing. That's fine for kids so they can set up forts and army men and Barbie's Dream House, but once you're an adult, I don't get the need for floor space worries in a bedroom. That said, I don't have a coffee table in my living room specifically so I have the floor space to do yoga. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the bed in the middle of the room too and a desk behind it actually. A desk to wake up to at dawn and to ruminate about your thoughts with pen and paper

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like it when the space behind the bed is still functional.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a great idea if you're lucky enough to have the room. it's the same in living rooms - people often put the sofas against the wall, when they can often look better moved away from the walls. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never thought about it this way, but I guess it's b/c I've never had a big enough room. It could be neat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like it! If I had a big space like the above images I would totally be all over it. What a fabulous idea!

    ReplyDelete

Go on! Leave a comment - you know you want to!